Layered Breakfast Salad Toast
Wake-up to a breakfast feast of rustic bread, fresh garden greens and poached egg
Add options such as sausage, bacon, asparagus, etc… for an infinite variety, limited only by your imagination
Serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner
Recipe by: Gabrielle
Wine Pairing: 2014 Pietro Family Cellars Chardonnay, Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley
PREP TIME: 15 minutes COOKING TIME: 20 minutes TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
- 4 slices ¾” thick of a rustic-style crusty bread (sourdough, rosemary, ciabatta, olive)
- ¼ cup All-purpose Extra Virgin Olive Oil, brush on bread slices
- ¼ cup GC Napa Valley Organic Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil, in salad dressing
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- 1 bag 10 oz. Farmers Market assorted salad greens (pea shoots, kale, leaf lettuce, frisée, escarole, spinach, chicory, arugula)
- 4 whole organic eggs
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Meyer Lemon Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Chardonnay Finishing Sea Salt
- Optional garnish: 4 chives, minced
OPTIONAL CREATIVE ADDITIONS
- Asparagus - steamed, oven roasted, sautéed, or grilled
- Mushrooms, sautéed
- Chicken sausage
- Thick-cut bacon slice
- Canadian bacon
- Smoked salmon
- Brush All-purpose Extra Virgin Olive Oil on bread slices and toast in fry pan until golden. Alternatively, toast bread in toaster, toaster oven or grill, then brush lightly with Organic Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Note: The grill marks are an added taste plus. Set toasted bread aside.
- Prepare salad dressing: Put ¼ cup Organic Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 2 Tbsp. lemon juice into a small bowl. Mix with wire whip
- Wash salad twice. Dry in a spinner or roll in a towel then place in a bowl. Add dressing. Toss to combine.
- Put 2-3 oz. dressed salad onto toasted bread.
THEN POACH THE EGGS
- Crack each egg into a separate small bowl.
- Fill a medium pot half full with water and bring to a simmer. Add 1 Tbsp. vinegar. Stir water with until it swirls quickly.
- Slide the egg gently into the center of the pan. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cook for 2 minutes then turn heat off, cover pan, set timer for 4 minutes. The egg whites should be completely cooked, while the egg yolks are runny. Note: Timing depends on egg size.
- Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
Start brunch with a GC Napa Valley Bloody Mary (Foodie shipment 10-17 RECIPE HERE
Put 2-3 oz. dressed salad onto toasted bread. Place one poached egg on top of salad. Sprinkle with Meyer Lemon Pepper, Chardonnay Finishing Sea Salt and optional garnish of chives. Select from the suggested additions to create variations to suit taste preferences. Put Layered Breakfast Salad Toast on fun individual salad plates or make it a brunch buffet with the plain layered toast accompanied by an array of the optional toppings arranged on our barrel stave platter. Create your own layers….deliciously fun!
Wine options will vary based on the additional options chosen for the dish. We suggest the following:
- 2014 Pietro Family Cellars Chardonnay, Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley
This smooth, full-bodied 100% Chardonnay is an ideal accompaniment to the vegetable and smoked salmon
options offered with the Layered Salad Toast.
3 Pietro Family Cellars Field Blend Red Wine, California
A red blend reminiscent of Grandfather Pietro’s wine, with bright red fruit flavors and aromatics that
complement the various meat options with the Layered Salad Toast.
- 1 dz. whole organic eggs
- 1 bag 10 oz. Farmers Market assorted salad greens (frisée, escarole, spinach,chicory)
- 1 loaf rustic-style crusty bread (sourdough, rosemary, ciabatta, olive, etc.
- 1 lemon, fresh
- Cider vinegar
- 1 bottle All-purpose Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Kirkland or Trader Joe’s brand)
- Optional additions