Flavor Popping Dry-Brined Herb-Butter Turkey
Moist meat, crispy skin and fragrantly delicious stuffing
Recipe by: Gabrielle
14 lb. turkey serves 12-14 with left overs
Wine Pairing: 2014 Gabrielle Collection Juxtaposition Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
PREP TIME: 30 minutes, COOKING TIME: 2 ½ hours, TOTAL TIME: Overnight + 2 ½ hours
- 1 turkey 14 lb.
- ½ pouch GC Napa Valley Natural Flavor Popping Dry Brine Mix
- 1 batch Herb Basting Butter (see recipe)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, organic low sodium, if needed
- Metal ties/skewers or toothpicks to hold cavity skin together
- Prepare turkey: Wash skin and cavity. Dry with paper towels; discard paper towels.
- Brine turkey: Gently loosen skin without breaking the skin. With small amounts of Flavor Popping Dry Brine Mix in your hand, massage it under skin of the breast, ribs, thigh, and inside cavity. Put turkey on platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate minimum 8 hours, maximum 15 hours (longer will make the turkey salty).
- Remove turkey from refrigerator and place into sink. Wash brine off skin and from inside cavity. Fill sink with water and immerse turkey to rinse off additional brine, then drain water. Change water and repeat 4 times until the water is clear. Fill sink with fresh water again. Soak 10 minutes. Dry turkey well with paper towels. This will avoid an overly salty gravy.
- Prepare Caramelized Onion, Fruit & Pecan Stuffing (see recipe). Stuff in both cavities. Securely close stuffed cavity openings with metal ties/skewers or toothpicks if necessary. Put any remaining stuffing into a small casserole. Add 1 cup broth or as needed and bake for 40 minutes.
- Roast turkey according to your favorite method (many options on-line). Baste every 30 minutes with Herb Basting Butter.
- Prepare gravy according to your favorite recipe.
Remove stuffing from cavity and place into serving dish. Cover with foil and put into a low heat oven to remain warm. Let the turkey rest 10 minutes before carving. Go on-line for step-by-step turkey carving directions. Arrange the drumsticks, wings, dark meat, and light meat on a platter. Serve gravy in a separate serving vessel.
Use our Caramelized Onion, Fruit & Pecan Stuffing recipe that perfectly compliments your turkey!
- 1 turkey 14 lb.
- 1 can/box 16 fl. oz. chicken or vegetable broth, organic low sodium (if needed for extra stuffing)
- Metal ties/skewers or 1 box toothpicks