Velvety Butternut Squash Soup
LIKE VELVET! Make lots of this soup- everyone will want seconds. The hint of lavender honey puts flavors over the top. Although it is sensuously creamy, no dairy, only veggies- so a great vegan dish.
Wine Pairing: PIETRO FAMILY CELLARS MY ANGELINA WHITE NAPA VALLEY
- 2 whole butternut squash
- 1 whole onion
- 3 tbsp GC Napa Valley Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp GC Napa Valley Natural Culinary Infused Lavender Honey
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ TSP each: GC Napa Valley Natural Sage Finishing Sea Salt & Tuscan Rosemary Finishing Sea Salt
- 4 cups vegetable stock (chicken stock can be substituted)
- ¼ tsp GC Napa Valley Natural Tuscan Rosemary Powder
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- Lightly brush a medium sized baking dish with 1TBL Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Cut butternut squash (leave skin on) in half, place into baking dish and lightly brush with Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Roast squash until t completely soft to the touch- 30-45 minutes depending on size.
- Roast or sauté onions in Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil until soft and translucent.
- Scoop cooked butternut squash out of it shell and put into in blender – Vitamix is the best one! Add sautéed onions Lavender Honey, Rosemary Sea Salt and juices from baking pan. Slowly add stock. Puree until creamy.
- If using a Vitamix, puree until warm or pour squash soup into saucepan to heat until hot but not boiling.
Pour soup into decorative bowl and garnish with Sage Sea Salt or a sage leaf quickly sautéed in olive oil until slightly crispy. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top. If serving as an hors d’oeuvres, pour into a small shot glass. Serve hot or at room temperature. Add a Rosemary Sea Salt Crostini to serve.