Velvety Butternut Squash Soup
It’s silky and luxurious! The hint of lavender honey heightens the flavor. Plus, it’s a great vegan dish.
Recipe by: Gabrielle
Wine Pairing: 2016 Pietro Family Cellars My Angelina White Wine, Napa Valley
PREP TIME: 20 minutes, COOKING TIME: 30-40 minutes, TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 Tbsp. + extra as needed GC Napa Valley Natural Savory Proprietary Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 butternut squashes, whole and unpeeled
- 1 yellow onion medium, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Culinary Lavender Infused Honey
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, ground
- ¼ tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Tuscan Rosemary Finishing Sea Salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth, organic low sodium (or chicken broth)
- ¼ tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Sage Finishing Sea Salt
- Optional garnish: Fried sage leaves
- Optional garnish: Rosemary Sea Salt Crostini
- Optional gourmet garnish: Maple sour cream (sour cream + maple syrup or Lavender Honey )
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly brush a medium-size baking dish with 1 Tbsp. Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Cut butternut squash in half. Remove and discard seeds. Place squash in the baking dish flesh-side up and lightly brush entire squash with Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Roast until flesh is brown and fork tender, 30-45 minutes depending on size. Remove from oven and let squash cool slightly.
- Sauté onion in 2 Tbsp. Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil until soft and translucent.
- Scoop butternut squash out of its shell and put into a blender (Vitamix is best!). Add sautéed onions, Lavender Honey, nutmeg, Rosemary Sea Salt, squash juices from baking pan, and broth. Puree until creamy. If using a Vitamix, puree until warm, or pour soup into a saucepan; heat until hot, but not boiling.
For a Main or First Course: Pour soup into decorative bowls (place a salad plate under bowl for an inviting presentation). Garnish with Sage Finishing Sea Salt and a drizzle of Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top.
As an Amuse Bouche (a bite between courses): Pour soup into small shot glasses. Serve hot or room temperature. Optional garnish of a fried sage leaf: Quickly sauté leaves in Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil until slightly crispy. Place whole or crumpled leaf on top of soup. Add a Rosemary Sea Salt Crostini to the serving plate.
Optional gourmet garnish of maple sour cream: Mix ½ cup sour cream with 2 Tbsp. maple syrup or GC Napa Valley Natural Culinary Lavender Infused Honey. Put a tablespoon on top of soup; add a fried sage leaf.
Optional : Rosemary Sea Salt Crostini