Turmeric Barley with Caramelized Root Vegetables and Crispy Sage Leaves
Perfect accompaniment to Rosemary and Lavender Brined Pork Chops with Calvados Flambéed Apples
Recipe by: Gabrielle
Wine Pairing: 2013 Pietro Family Cellars Field Blend Red Wine, California
PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOKING TIME: 50 minutes TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Savory Proprietary Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced into ½” pieces
- 2 large yellow peppers, diced into ½” pieces
- 1 cup pearl barley (½ lb.)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1½ tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Sage Finishing Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Meyer Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
- ½ cup 2016 Pietro Family Cellars Chardonnay
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric powder
- 12 heirloom carrots, green tops trimmed to 1 ½”, scrubbed, not peeled
- 6-8 scallions (green onions), washed, cut to 6-8” long pieces
- 20 sage leaves, fresh, stems removed
- Heat medium pot to medium heat, add ¼ cup Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil, onions, and peppers. Sauté 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add barley. Sauté together 2 minutes. Add vegetable broth, Chardonnay, Sage Finishing Sea Salt, Lemon Tellicherry Pepper, and turmeric. Cover pot, cook 35 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally especially at end of cooking time. If needed, add ¼ cup water and stir. Barley should be soft and fluffy when finished.
- Heat fry pan to medium heat, add ¼ cup Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Place whole heirloom carrots into pan. Cook 3-4 minutes per side. Remove smaller carrots, cook larger ones 1-2 more minutes each side then remove. Add scallions, sauté 2 minutes per side until limp and remove. Turn heat to low, add 2 Tbsp. Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil then add fresh sage leaves. Toss in pan for 3-4 minutes until lightly toasted on both sides. DO NOT overcook. Stay by stove as leaves can burn quickly. Remove and place on paper towel.
- Crumble all but 6-8 sage leaves over barley and gently toss once to combine.
Mound barley on a serving plate. Lay carrots and scallions over top. Garnish with remaining crispy sage leaves.
Make it a meal: Add roasted chicken, pork chops, grilled tofu, or grilled well-seasoned red snapper.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 large yellow peppers
- ½ lb. pearl barley
- 1 box 32 fl. oz. vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 jar turmeric powder
- 12 heirloom carrots (2 bunches), various colors-burgundy, yellow, orange, purple
- 6-8 scallions (green onions)
- 1 bunch sage leaves, fresh