Squid Ink Pasta with ‘Just Picked’ Tomato Sauce
Dramatic black pasta boasting a rich, briny flavor and hint of sea saltiness.
Bright red, sweet tomatoes makes this a colorful side dish or luncheon entrée.
Super Simple, Super Tasty 5-Step Recipe
Recipe by: Gabrielle
Wine Pairing: 2016 Pietro Family Cellars Tusca Red Wine, Napa County (Super Tuscan style)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 15 minutes TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
- 1 pkg 16-18 oz. squid ink pasta*
- 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut into ¼” pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 medium to large red tomatoes, cut into ¼-½” cubes
- 5 large fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Tuscan Rosemary Finishing Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Savory Proprietary Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅓ cup coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Optional addition as a main course: 1 lb. medium raw shrimp or scallops or combination
- Begin cooking pasta according to package directions. Do not overcook pasta as it will lose its dramatic black color. Cook pasta ‘al dente’ meaning still firm to the bite, but not hard.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: Heat grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it shimmers. Add onion and cook until tender, 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are barely soft to retain fresh flavor, no more than 5 minutes.
- Season with basil, Rosemary Finishing Sea Salt and Lemon Tellicherry Pepper to taste.
- Optional: If adding shrimp or scallops, sauté in a separate pan with 2-3 Tbsp. salted butter and 1 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Fish Rub Proprietary Blend while onion is cooking.
Put Squid Ink Pasta on a large platter or in a large serving bowl. Pour the ‘Just Picked’ Tomato Sauce over pasta, (top with seafood option if adding), drizzle with Savory Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Organic, farmers market, and garden grown products are preferred
- 1 pkg 16-18 oz. squid ink pasta (or your preferred pasta if squid ink pasta not available)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 garlic bulb
- 8 medium to large red tomatoes
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 1 small wedge, 4 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Optional: 1 lb. medium raw shrimp or scallops
- Grapeseed oil
- GC Napa Valley Natural Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
- Optional: GC Napa Valley Natural Fish Rub Proprietary Blend
- Optional: Salted Butter