Spring Pea Pesto
Bright green spring peas create a versatile crostini topping on pasta, mozzarella, or burrata
Recipe by: Gabrielle
Wine Pairing: 2018 Pietro Family Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Reserve, Napa Valley
PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOKING TIME: 10 minutes TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
- 1½ lbs. fresh peas in shell or 1½ cups shelled peas, (substitute 1lb. frozen peas)
- ½ cup Pietro Family Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Reserve
- 1 tsp. fresh garlic, minced (substitute 2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1½ cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated medium
- 2 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Chardonnay Finishing Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Culinary Lavender Tellicherry Pepper
- 1 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Foraged Wild Mint Infused Honey
- 2 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Lemon Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare fresh peas: Break open shell and remove peas to a bowl. Wash peas in cold water and place in baking dish. If fresh peas are not available, thaw frozen peas in a colander (to remove excess water from defrosting) and place in baking dish.
- Finely shred ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese; leave remaining piece whole
- Add Pietro Sauvignon Blanc Reserve and garlic to the peas. Cover dish and bake 7-9 minutes. Strain and discard the liquid from the peas. Put the peas into a blender, preferably a Vitamix.
- • Add the cheese, Chardonnay Finishing Sea Salt, Lavender Tellicherry Pepper, Wild Mint Infused Honey and Lemon Olive Oil to the peas. Pulse blender to combine for 1 minute for a rustic pesto, or 2 minutes for a smooth and creamy texture.
Mound this bright spring green pesto on your favorite cracker, Lemon Olive Oil Crostini, pita, or baguette. Garnish with a drizzle of Lemon Olive Oil and a fresh grating of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Use as a fresh pesto for a vegetarian pasta dish.
- 1¼ lbs. fresh unshelled peas (substitute 1 lb. bag frozen peas)
- 1 bottle Pietro Family Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Reserve, Napa Valley
- 2 1/2 Lbs. Fresh English peas (substitute 2 bags frozen peas)
- 1 garlic bulb (substitute garlic powder)
- 8 oz. wedge Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- GC Napa Valley Natural Chardonnay Finishing Sea Salt
- GC Napa Valley Natural Culinary Lavender Tellicherry Pepper
- GC Napa Valley Natural Foraged Wild Mint Infused Honey
- GC Napa Valley Natural Lemon Olive Oil