Pumpkin Apple Chutney
An easy to prepare super simple, super tasty 5-step recipe
Recipe by: Gabrielle
YIELD: Approximately 3 cups
Wine Pairing: 2018 Pietro Family Cellars My Angelina White Wine, Napa Valley (Traditional white Bordeaux-style blend)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes COOKING TIME: 1 hour TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 baking pumpkin, 3-4 lbs.
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large green apples, Granny Smith or Pippen
- 2 Fuyu persimmons
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 2” long
- 2 cups water, distilled or purified
- 1 cup 2016 Pietro Family Cellars Sauvignon Blanc, Napa County
- ¼ cup GC Napa Valley Natural Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine Vinegar
- 6 Tbsp. cup GC Napa Valley Fall Harvest Honey
- 2 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Orange Infused Honey
- ¼ cup GC Napa Valley Natural Culinary Lavender Infused Honey
- ½ cup (1.5 oz. pouch) GC Napa Valley Dried Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Grapes
- 2 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Poultry Rub Proprietary Blend or cardamom powder
- 1 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Chardonnay Finishing Sea Salt
- 6 mason jars or similar, 4 oz. size with lids and rings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut pumpkin into quarters, place on a parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, roast 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven, let cool, then scoop flesh away from the peel. Need 1 cup.
- Prepare fruit: Wash, peel, core and cut apples into ½” cubes. Wash, peel, core and finely chop persimmons.
- Peel ginger using a small spoon. Finely chop or use a rasp grater to catch any stringy fibers.
- Place the following in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer: 1 cup roasted pumpkin, 1 cup brown sugar, fruit, ginger, and remaining listed ingredients. Then over medium-low heat cook 35-45 minutes or longer. Stir every 10 minutes, more often as the liquid evaporates and begins to thicken, especially the last 10 minutes. Add a little water if necessary, to keep mixture from sticking to bottom of pot or burning. The chutney is done when it has a jam-like consistency and the fruits have broken down. Let cool.
- Put chutney in a blender (Vitamix preferred). Do 3-quick pulses to smooth, but not puree. Keep a slightly chunky texture. Ladle into small glass jars. Store in refrigerator.
- Put Pumpkin Apple Chutney on goat cheese or white cheddar. It is the perfect accent to a cheese board or charcuterie platter, especially presented on our beautiful Barrel Stave Platter or Barrel Head Tray.
- Serve Pumpkin Apple Chutney as a side with roasted pork/poultry and grilled pork chops/poultry.
- Pumpkin Apple Chutney makes an ideal holiday/hostess gift; add a gift name tag tied with jute string and decorative ribbon.