Juicy Brined Herb Parmesan Chicken Breast
Brining creates succulent chicken perfect for brunch, served on a crispy waffle with Apple Citrus Chutney or a Drizzle of Honey Mustard Sauce. Or make an entrée or chicken finger appetizer.
Wine Pairing: MAIN ENTREE: Pietro Family Cellars Pinot Noir, Napa Valley
PREP TIME: 25 minutes, COOK TIME: 20 minutes, TOTAL TIME: 4 hours 45 minutes
- 3 organic free-range chicken breasts , prefer skin on
- 6 cups warm water
- ½ cup flat leaf Italian parsley leaves
- 4 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Herb Chili Pepper Brine Mix
- 1 pouch GC Napa Valley Natural Parmesan Herb Seasoning
- 1 cup unseasoned panko
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 Tbsp GC Napa Valley Natural Tuscan Rosemary Sea Salt
- 3 lemons: 1 cut into ¾ ” slices | 1 cut into 6 wedges | 1 zested
- ¾ cup whole grain mustard
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- ¼ cup GC Napa Valley Natural
- Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp + ½ cup GC Napa Valley Natural Fall Harvest Honey
- 2 Tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
- Cut across the breast into 3 pieces to allow crisp oven roasting
- Place chicken breasts pieces into the brine 3-4 hours before cooking to enhance the moisture and tenderness.
- Prepare brine: In a medium saucepot, bring 6 cups warm water to a boil and stir in 4 Tbsp. Herb Pepper Brine Mix and 3 Tablespoon Tuscan Rosemary Sea Salt until dissolved. Reduce to medium heat. Add lemon slices, 4 Tbsp. Fall Harvest Honey, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1/2 cup parsley leaves. Simmer 5 minutes to release flavors. Remove from heat, cool. Refrigerate until cooled completely.
- Place half of the chicken pieces into a 1- gal zip-top bag. Add to bag- 3 cups of the Brine (enough to totally immerse chicken), 1 smashed garlic clove and 1 lemon slice from brine, and seal. Repeat for 1 other bag of chicken pieces. Place in the refrigerator for 3 hours minimum, 4 hours maximum. TIP: Brining more time will create salty, mushy chicken.
- Remove chicken from the brine, discard brine and bag. Thoroughly rinse chicken with cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Rub each piece with a wedge of lemon, pat completely dry with a paper towel. put pieces onto a 3-layer paper towel lined plate and refrigerate 3-4 hours to allow them to dry. You can brine the day before and refrigerate washed chicken pieces in sealed container. Clean workspace following HEALTH TIP.
Oven roast: Lose the calories, keep the flavor. A delicious alternative to frying. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place flour, 2 tsp. Lemon Tellicherry Pepper and 1 Tbsp lemon zest in a shallow dish.
- Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk for 1-2 minutes until lighter in color. Add 1 Tbsp water, whisk twice to incorporate.
- Mix 1 pouch Parmesan Herb Panko Seasoning with 2 cups unseasoned Panko in a third shallow dish or plate.
- Roll chicken pieces first in flour, then egg mixture, then Parmesan Herb Panko mix, making sure sides are fully coated.
- Reduce oven to 425°. Brush a baking sheet with olive or canola oil and place breasts onto oiled surface. Spray top of chicken pieces with orange olive oil (can substitute nonstick cooking spray). Bake for 10 minutes. Flip pieces over and bake for 8-10 minutes or when meat reaches 165 ° F on a meat thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Option- cut thick chicken breast pieces into even halves horizontally, follow recipe but reduce roasting time to 8 minutes one side: 5 minutes other side.
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Brine chicken breast the night before. This is an optional step that really enhances the moisture and tenderness of the chicken breast.
- Season the Panko breadcrumbs with GC, Napa Valley Parmesan herb seasoning.
- Generously Brush the chicken breast with GC, Napa Valley orange olive oil
- Brush a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Place chicken skin side down on the baking sheet
- Rub each chicken breast with a wedge of lemon juice, wedge of lemon, Pat dry the chicken breast .
- Put enough water to cover chicken into a 1 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove it from heat and stir in 4 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley HERB PEPPER CHICKEN BRINE, 1 lemon halved, 2 Tbsp. Fall Harvest Honey, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley. Let brine cool completely in the refrigerator. Pour cold brine over chicken and refrigerate for 6-12 hours, not more.
- FOR WHOLE CHICKEN: Put enough water to cover chicken into a large stockpot- usually about 1 gallon. Bring to a boil. Remove it from heat and stir in 1 pouch GC Napa Valley HERB PEPPER CHICKEN BRINE, 3 lemons halved, 1/4 cup GC Napa Valley Fall Harvest Honey, 4 crushed garlic cloves, 1 cup flat leaf parsley. Let brine cool completely in the refrigerator. Pour cold brine over chicken and refrigerate for 10-12 hours, not more.
- FOR 2 CHICKEN BREASTS OR THIGHS: Put enough water to cover chicken into a 1 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove it from heat and stir in 4 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley HERB PEPPER CHICKEN BRINE, 1 lemon halved, 2 Tbsp. Fall Harvest Honey, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley. Let brine cool completely in the refrigerator. Pour cold brine over chicken and refrigerate for 4-8 hours, not more.
- IMPORTANT FOOD SAFETY: Do not pour warm brine over the chicken. Warm water helps unwanted organisms to grow, potentially causing illness.
- TIP: Brining more than the stated time will create a salty mushy chicken.
BRUNCH TOPPING FOR WAFFELS:
- Place 1 piece chicken breast on top Savory Waffle (See Recipe) and arrange on large serving platter. Option-slice chicken pieces into ½” wide slices and place 3-4 slices of top of each waffle. Spray a mist of olive oil over chicken breast.
- Top with 2 tablespoons of Apple Citrus Chutney (see recipe) or Drizzle with Honey Mustard Sauce: Whisk together 3/4 cup each warm Fall Harvest Honey and whole grain mustard.
- Note- the Herb Pepper Brine Mix, Parmesan Herb Seasoning and flour seasoning usually provide ample salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of rosemary and serve on individual plates or on a large platter.
MAIN ENTREE: Serve on top of wild rice with a side of grilled vegetables.
APPETIZER: Slice raw chicken pieces into 1” slices. Follow recipe as usual. Serve with Ranch Dressing or Honey Mustard sauce.
- 1 container Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 lemons
- 3 organic, free range chicken breasts
- 4 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley leaves
- extra virgin all-purpose olive oil or canola oil
- non-stick spray
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 eggs
- unbleached flour
- whole grain mustard
- GC Napa Valley Natural Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
- GC Napa Valley Natural Tuscan Rosemary Infused Honey