HEIRLOOM POLISH MUSHROOM SOUP
Delightfully creamy and bursting with earthy flavor, ‘Zupa Grzybowa’ is served Christmas Eve in Poland
Recipe by: Gabrielle
SERVES: 6 (10 fl. oz. each)
Wine Pairing: 2018 Pietro Family Cellars My Angelina White Wine, Napa Valley (Traditional white Bordeaux-style blend)
PREP TIME: 25 minutes COOK TIME: 50 minutes TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 15 minute
Soup Yield 64 fl. oz.
- 6 cups stock (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
- 1½ lbs. total mixed mushrooms (e.g., shitake, white button, cremini, etc.), cleaned, cut into ¼” slices
- 2 Tbsp. + 6 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Buttery Proprietary Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup + ¼ cup 2018 Pietro Family Cellars My Angelina White Wine, Napa Valley (Traditional white Bordeaux-style blend)
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, cut into ¼” dice
- 1 cup celery, peeled, cut into ¼” dice
- 1 cup carrot, peeled, cut into ¼” dice
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Culinary Lavender Tellicherry Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh minced dill, or 2 tsp. dried dill
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 Tbsp for garnish, fresh minced parsley
- 2 tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Marjoram Finishing Sea Salt
- 2½ cups water
- ½ cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Bring stock to a simmer in a 4-quart pot over medium heat.
- Heat an empty 12” skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Cook 6-7 minutes; mushrooms will release their juices and slightly brown. Off heat, add 2 Tbsp. Buttery Extra Virgin Olive Oil, ¼ cup My Angelina White Wine and stir. Return to heat, cook 1 minute. Reserve 18 mushroom slices for garnish. Add remaining mushrooms to the simmering stock.
- Add 2 Tbsp. canola oil to the 12” skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, cook 2-3 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. canola oil, celery, carrots, cook 5-6 minutes. Add garlic, Lavender Tellicherry Pepper, cook 1 minute. Off heat, add ¼ cup My Angelina White Wine. Return to heat and reduce liquid for 1 minute. Add vegetable mixture to the soup.
- Simmer soup for 15 minutes. Add dill, 1 Tbsp. parsley, and Marjoram Finishing Sea Salt. Note: Soup can be made to this point, cooled, refrigerated, and finished the next day to allow the mushroom flavor to develop.
- Prepare Orzo: Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Add orzo. Cook until tender, 12-15 minutes. Put cooked orzo and its cooking liquid into the soup.
- Puree half the soup (4 cups), carefully if HOT, in a blender. Add cream, sour cream, lemon juice and blend again. Stir puree into the soup. Taste, adjust Marjoram Finishing Sea Salt to your preference.
Ladle Polish Mushroom Soup into bowls. Garnish each with 3 mushroom slices, sprinkling of parsley, and 1 tsp. drizzle of Buttery Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1 can/carton 48 fl. oz. your preference of beef, chicken, or vegetable stock
- 1½ lbs. total mixed mushrooms (e.g., shitake, white button, cremini, etc.)
- 1 bottle 2018 Pietro Family Cellars My Angelina White Wine, Napa Valley (Traditional white Bordeaux-style blend)
- 1 bottle canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 bunch carrots
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 small bunch fresh dill, or 1 package .5 oz fresh dill, or 1 jar dried dill
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 box 19 oz. orzo pasta
- ½ pint (8 fl. oz.) heavy cream
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 lemon