Gabrielle’s Wild Rice Herb Salad
Perfect make-ahead dish packed with fresh veggies and herbs Add roasted chicken for a complete meal
Recipe by: Gabrielle
Wine Pairing: 2013 Pietro Family Cellars Field Blend Red Wine, California
PREP TIME: 25 minutes COOKING TIME: 60 minutes TOTAL TIME: 1 1/2 days with overnight refrigeration
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup Basmati brown rice
- 6-7 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium white onions, cut into ¼” pieces
- ½ cup All-purpose Extra Virgin Olive Oil, all purpose - ¼ cup to sauté onions, ¼ cup to sauté peppers
- 1 each whole red, orange, yellow bell peppers
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh orange zest
- 6 oz. dried wild blueberries
- ½ cup raw pine nuts, unsalted
- 3 Tbsp. fresh whole oregano leaves
- 2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint leaves, chiffonade (stack leaves, roll tightly into cigar shape, slice thin)
- 4 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Organic Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Meyer Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Wild Fennel Finishing Sea Salt
- 1 pouch GC Napa Valley Estate Marjoram and Rosemary Herb Blend (Foodie Exclusive)
- 2 fresh mint sprigs
- Optional: Add roasted chicken, store bought or personal favorite recipe
- Optional: Add Grilled Parchment Steamed Salmon (see recipe) or personal favorite recipe
- Cook each rice separately as they require different cooking times.
- Wild rice: Add 3 cups chicken broth to a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a rolling boil, add wild rice and stir. Put lid on pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Stir every 10 minutes for 50-60 minutes, adding more broth if needed, ¼ cup at a time. Rice should be tender and mildly chewy with some of the grains burst open.
- Brown Basmati Rice: Add 2 cups chicken broth to a large saucepan, bring to a rolling boil, add Basmati brown rice and stir. Repeat wild rice cooking procedure. Cooking time is approximately 45 minutes until rice is soft.
- Transfer cooked wild rice and brown rice to a large bowl.
- Sauté onions in ¼ cup all-purpose Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium heat until translucent. Add to rice mixture.
- Remove stem, seeds and white membrane of all peppers and cut into ¼” pieces. Heat ¼ cup all-purpose Extra Virgin Olive Oil in small fry pan and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add to rice mixture and stir.
- Refrigerate rice, onion and bell pepper mixture overnight.
- Remove rice mixture from refrigerator. Add tomatoes, orange zest, dried blueberries, pine nuts, oregano, rosemary, mint, Organic Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Meyer Lemon Pepper, Wild Fennel Finishing Sea Salt, and Marjoram and Rosemary Herb Blend. Gently mix.
- Taste to correct seasoning. May need to add more Meyer Lemon Pepper and Wild Fennel Finishing Sea Salt.
Arrange wild rice salad on a large white platter. Garnish with 2 or more mint sprigs.
Optional: Add roasted chicken pieces or salmon to make a complete meal.
- ½ lb. wild rice
- ½ lb. Basmati brown rice
- 2 boxes 32 fl. oz. organic low sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium white onions
- 1 each whole red, orange, yellow bell pepper
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 orange, fresh
- 1 package 6 oz. dried wild blueberries
- 2 oz. raw pine nuts, shelled
- 1 bunch fresh oregano
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- Optional: Roasted chicken, store bought or personal favorite recipe
- Optional: Salmon - Grilled Parchment Steamed Salmon (see recipe) or personal favorite recipe
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, all-purpose (Kirkland or Trader Joe’s brands)