Flambé Mushroom Soup
This woodsy mushroom soup will make your taste buds dance with every bite.
Recipe by: Gabrielle
Wine Pairing: Gabrielle Collection Juxtaposition Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2011
Total time: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- ½ Cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tsp. sugar
- 1 Red onion (thinly sliced)
- 6 Tbsp. Butter (unsalted) (3/4 stick)
- 1 Small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves garlic (rough chopped)
- ½ Tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 6 Oz. Button mushrooms
- 3 Oz. Brandy (two shot glass)
- 6 Oz. Cremini mushrooms
- 4 Cups Vegetable stock (or Chicken stock)
- 2 Tsp. GC Napa Valley Meyer Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
- 2 Tsp. GC Napa Valley Rosemary Sea Salt
- ½ Cup heavy cream
- 2 Tsp. Flat leaf parsley (fresh)
- Drizzle GC Napa Valley Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil "Olio Nuovo"
Picked Red Ohions
- Whisk vinegar, sugar, and Rosemary Sea Salt in a mixing bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Thinly slice red onion and put into a mason jar.
- Pour vinegar mixture over onions and let sit at room temperature for an hour. **Can be made ahead of time (1 week) keep in refrigerator for storage.
Flambé Mushroom Soup
- Add unsalted butter to small sauce pan on medium/low heat setting.
- Add sliced yellow onion, pepper flakes, and garlic into pan and cook until clear in color (do not brown) for 10-15 minutes.
- Destem and quarter mushrooms than place in pan with onions and garlic.
- Add brandy and light with BBQ lighter (be careful with flames). Cook until alcohol burns off.
- Remove soup from heat and place in blender in batches. Blend soup until smooth. (Hold lid down when hot otherwise the blender will explode open!).
- Return soup to pot. Bring to a simmer to thicken for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add cream.
- Season with Meyer Lemon Tellicherry Pepper and Rosemary Sea Salt.
Place soup in an 8 oz. serving bowl. Roughly chop picked red onions and parsley and place on top of soup to garnish. Drizzle top with GC Napa Valley Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Enjoy this earthy soup!
▼ Click here to download the recipe card