Delicately Wilted Spinach with Toasted Pine Nuts
Simple to prepare and boasting with fresh flavor
Recipe by: Gabrielle
YIELD: 2 cups PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 10 minutes TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 1½ Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1½ Tbsp. + 1½-2 Tbsp. GC Napa Valley Buttery Propriety Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lbs. baby spinach, cleaned, bitter stems removed
- 1½ tsp. lemon juice, fresh *
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated from whole seedpod
- ¼ tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
- ½ tsp. GC Napa Valley Natural Lemon Finishing Sea Salt
- ¾ cup Fontina cheese, coarsely shredded, about 3 oz.
- * Cooking Note: Citrus softens spinach’s bitter oxalic acid.
- Toast Pine Nuts: Place nuts in a dry small sauté pan (no oil) over medium heat. Shake pan frequently for even toasting, until nuts are slightly golden brown and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer nuts to a plate
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add butter and 1½ Tbsp. Buttery Olive Oil; tilt and rotate skillet to evenly distribute. Allow to heat for a few seconds. Add 1 lb. spinach and immediately begin tossing with tongs to ensure all leaves cook at the same rate. As spinach wilts, add by handfuls the remaining spinach. Continue tossing until spinach is wilted, 4-5 minutes. Season with lemon juice, nutmeg, Lemon Tellicherry Pepper, and Lemon Finishing Sea Salt. Gently fold in Fontina cheese.
Place Wilted Spinach in a serving bowl. Drizzle with 1½-2 Tbsp. Buttery Olive Oil and garnish with toasted pine nuts. Makes an ideal side dish for steak, seafood, poultry, etc.
- 1 oz. pine nuts
- 1 lb. unsalted butter
- 2 lbs. baby spinach
- 1 lemon
- 1 organic whole nutmeg seedpod
- 4 oz. block Fontina cheese