Butter Lettuce & Arugula Salad with Seared Scallops
Perfect golden-brown scallops to accompany your favorite salad
Recipe by: Gabrielle
Wine Pairing: Pietro Family Cellars Chardonnay Oak Knoll District Napa Valley 2014
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 Head Butter Lettuce
- 2 Bunches Arugula, or 1 Bag Pre-washed
- 18 Medium-sized Fresh Scallops
- ½ Cup Parmesan Reggiano Cheese, Shaved (Use Potato Peeler)
- ¼ Cup Champagne Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Grapeseed Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- ¾ Cup GC Napa Valley Buttery Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp. GC Napa Valley Meyer Lemon Honey
- ½ Tsp. GC Napa Valley Chardonnay Sea Salt
- ½ Tsp. GC Napa Valley Meyer Lemon Tellicherry Pepper
Dressing & Salad
- Whisk together vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, Meyer Lemon Honey, and Meyer Lemon Pepper in a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in Buttery Extra Virgin Olive Oil until emulsified. (If you have a blender/food processor you can combine all ingredients until emulsified)
- Separate lettuce leaves by tearing larger outer leaves in half, leaving small leaves intact.
- Wash under cold water and dry lettuce.
- Wash and dry arugula (can use pre-washed arugula) and mix with butter lettuce in a large mixing bowl
- Add and toss all salad in dressing so all leaves are coated evenly.
- Pat dry all scallops with a paper towel.
- If the scallop has a muscle on its side, remove it with a knife.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. Grapeseed Oil and 2 Tbsp. Salted Butter in a pan on med/high heat setting
- Add scallops to hot pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until firm and opaque in color with a light brown sear on each side.
- Transfer to paper towel, finish scallops with Meyer Lemon Tellicherry Pepper, and Chardonnay Sea Salt.
Pile salad greens in the center of a 6-8” white or clear round dish. Place the lovely seared scallops to the side of the salad. Using a potato peeler, shave (4-5) ½” thin slices of Parmesan Reggiano over the top of the salad.
This salad is full of fresh flavors!
Optional: Accompany with the Toasted Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil Olio Nuovo.
This can be a lovely lunch entrée as well.
▼ Click here to download the recipe card